Hello sweet reader,
Even though this is not the first post, it will be the first
‘official’ post and therefore, I would like to start by introducing myself.
I was born and raised outside of Guatemala City, in a family
of five: dad (an architect), mom (an interior designer and a baker), sister (a
nutritionist), brother (a chef de cuisine), and me: a lawyer who is expecting
to become an early childhood educator in the next year or so but who really
loves cooking and baking.
I always enjoyed being in the kitchen. My mom can confirm
that I sat on a corner and watched her prepare the meals for the family. I just
watched. I would say that it could’ve been pretty intimidating, but my mom
stayed chill and pretended to be leading a cooking show or class… a very good
teacher, I must say!
It wasn’t until I moved out of my parents’ house when I
realized that cooking was going to be a huge part of my life. I moved in with
my husband (fiancé at that time) and I was in charge of the meals. Since then,
I claimed the kitchen as my territory and cooking became my passion.
Recently I was encouraged by my biggest fan and critic to
share the fruits of my passion, and well, here we are. As my first official
post, I would like to start with the first cake that I made. Most of the cakes
and treats that I’ve prepared have been for my husband’s office events:
birthdays, meetings, parties and so on. It hasn’t been until now, that I have started
to make cakes for my family and friend’s events.
The cake in the picture, as I said, was the first one that I
made. I remember that it was during a hot summer (like every summer in Ottawa)
so I planned on something light and fresh: lemon poppy seed pound cake with
lemon curd filling. The icing, well, there is a story behind it: my mom loves a
good cake with Swiss or Italian meringue icing, so I followed her steps… first big
problem! Like I said, it was a hot day, so trying to work with meringue was
nearly impossible. I don’t know how, but I made a good meringue, so I spread it
all over the cake… but wait, let’s go back a few steps and pay attention to the
fact that I used a pound cake with a
custard filling… yes, I know now… as
soon as I put the top layer, the lemon custard oozed all over and the filling
was no more a filling but a “dipping” custard!
Anyway, without the experience or the proper tools, I manage
to pull the cake together and I finished it with a flower from my own garden
(organic and pesticide free, I must say). It obviously didn’t look as I
envisioned in my mind, but from the reviews, the flavours where there!
So that is it, four years ago I started to play with cakes,
not knowing exactly what was I doing and, somehow, my experiments turn OK-ish…
Don’t forget to subscribe, share and comment if you like it
and I hope to be back soon.
Sweet wishes,
Regina
Regina- you have magical hands - everything I've tasted from repertoire of pastries-sweets has been delicious. Made with love for sure! Besos T
ReplyDeletenena que emoción!!! no cabe duda que superaste al maestro. Te felicito y espero algún día probar esas delicias. Ahora soy yo quien aprende de ti y pregunta. Te ama siempre tu mamá.
ReplyDelete